Jessie J has said that she could not have become a judge on The X Factor because she does not like to see people being made into "a laughing stock".

The 'Price Tag' star, Jessie J was announced as the first coach on BBC One's new singing competition The Voice UK earlier this week. Speaking to The Sun, she said that the new coaching role is a better fit for her.
"I don't support The X Factor putting through people that are just going to be made a laughing stock," she said. "That is one of the reasons why I won't be a judge on that show. That is not how I think the industry should be. "The Voice is a show where I think I fit. The idea of being a coach and an inspiration and a mentor rather than a judge is something I can relate to."


Jessie J continued:
"I only start on The Voice after the people have been filtered through who can really sing. It is not people who are going to be laughed at for entertainment.
"And it's them picking us. It's not me turning anyone down - it is them turning me down. It's about spontaneity. It's going to be an amazing experience."
Jessie J appeared as a guest mentor during the Judges' Houses stage of The X Factor, helping Tulisa Contostavlos choose her four finalists.

"I was there to support Tulisa. I was just very blunt with her. This industry is about the work ethic," she said. "If they have got the talent but not the work ethic then it may not work. The music industry isn't just puppy dogs and rainbows. It is hardcore."

However, the singer said that she hopes she can return to the ITV1 show to mentor and perform during the live stages "if they will have me".